INGREDIENTS & DIRECTIONS
- 1½ cups all purpose unbleached flour 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2/3 cup cocoa 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder ¾ cup unsalted butter soft
- 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk 3 large eggs plus 1 yolk
- Preheat oven to 375̊ F and line the bottom of 2 round 8 x 2″ cake pans with parchment paper.
- Sift cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In a small bowl stir the buttermilk, pumpkin and vanilla extract together.
- Beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 4 – 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs and yolk into the butter/sugar mix, one at a time, until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture in thirds, mixing at low speed.
- Add the buttermilk/pumpkin mixture.
- Divide the batter equally between the two pans.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened ¾ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups icing sugar 1½ cups whipping cream
- 2 heaping tablespoons cocoa ¾ cup icing sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon orange food colouring
- Beat cream cheese on high speed until fluffy.
- Add icing sugar, cocoa, cinnamon and vanilla and beat on low speed until combined.
- In a separate bowl beat whipping cream with 3/4 cups icing sugar and a few drops of liquid orange food colouring.
- Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until evenly combined.
- Frost between the two layers of cake using about 1 cup of frosting.
- Use the remainder to cover the cake sides and top.
- Chill for 30 minutes to firm up the frosting.
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cold 1½ cups whipping cream
- Chop bittersweet chocolate into a bowl and add butter and corn syrup.
- Boil whipping cream and pour over the chocolate butter and syrup allow it to stand for 2 min.
- Whisk the ingredients together until smoothly combined.
- Pour the glaze over the top of the frosted cake and allow the glaze to run down the sides.