Need a little more pecan in your life? Try our best recipe for Pecan Sandies!
1½ cups chopped pecans
1 cup pecan halves
¼ cup icing sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
1½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup butter, cold
1 large egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 325℉.
- Use the steel blade in your food processor to reduce the chopped pecans and sugars to a uniform blend of crumbs. Short pulses are best.
- Add the flour and salt and process briefly, 10 – 20 seconds.
- Cut the butter in ½ inch cubes and add to the processor.
- Pulse the processor to combine the butter until uniform and starting to cling.
- With the processor running, add the egg yolk and continue until the dough begins to clump together. Turn the dough out onto a work surface.
- Knead briefly to form a single lump.
- Put about 1 teaspoon of dough in your hand and roll into a ball.
- Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Roll the dough into 4 uniform log shapes on the counter and then wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill in the freezer for half an hour. The dough should be firm but malleable.
- Unwrap the dough and use a sharp knife to slice ¼ inch thick slices.
- Arrange the slices on a greased baking sheets.
- Press a pecan half into each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for about 24 minutes or until golden brown.