We love this recipe for granola bars because it can be modified to be a million different granola bar recipes. This is the basic recipe. See other recipes for variations.
1 ½ cups large flake oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup wheat bran
½ cup of ground flax
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 ¼ cup total of nuts, seeds and fruit
Such as: raisins, dried cranberries, dried raspberries, dates, chopped apricots, dried blueberries, sunflower seeds, pepitas, sesame seeds, hemp hearts, pecans, almonds, chocolate chips and coconut.
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup honey
1 large egg, beaten
½ cup sunflower oil
2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and grease 9x13 pan.
- Mix all dry ingredients together - floury bits and lumpy bits in one big bowl.
- Whisk together the sticky bits.
- Combine all the bits together.
- Pour mixture into baking pan and pat down firmly with a damp hand.
- Bake for 20 minutes. It should be golden and firm but not hard. It will firms up as it cools.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars.
- Let cool completely in pan, then wrap individually.