This recipe is great for making gingerbread houses or cookies. Pictured above are some charming cookies (gingerbread and sugar cookies) decorated by one of our staff members' child.
¾ teaspoon ground cardamon
1 ½ cups solid vegetable shortening
1 ½ cups sugar
3 large eggs
¾ cup blackstrap molasses
6 3/4 cups all purpose unbleached flour
4 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons salt
- Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cardamon, baking soda and salt in a bowl and mix together with a wire whisk or fork. Set aside.
- Beat the shortening in your mixer until fluffy.
- Add the sugar and beat until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Add the molasses and beat until blended.
- Add the dry ingredients in four parts and beat until a dough forms.
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces and wrap each piece in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours; this will firm up the dough for rolling.
- Preheat the oven to 350 $
- Roll the dough to about 1/8th inches thick and cut the pieces for your gingerbread house. Rolling the dough between two sheets of parchment paper makes this easier.
- Transfer the cut pieces to baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 10 - 12 minutes remembering that smaller pieces take less time. Look for a dry appearance with the edges just starting to darken. Test the center of the piece to see that it is firm.
- Transfer the baked pieces to a wire rack to cool.