Fruit cake is so versatile that we have heaps of different ways to make it. This one features plump and tasty glazed cherries.
3 cups glazed red cherries
1 cup dried cranberries
2 cups dried cherries
1 cup whole blanched almonds
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup whole pecans
1 cup butter, room temp.
1 cup granulated sugar
6 large eggs
2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup orange juice
Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 300℉.
- Line two greased loaf pans with parchment paper.
- Wash and drain the cranberries and cherries.
- In a large bowl, mix all the fruit and nuts with 1 cup of flour.
- Cream the butter and sugar in your mixer for about 3 or 4 minutes
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat each egg until well blended.
- Sift together the remaining flour with the salt and spices.
- Add to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Stir in the floured fruit and nuts and blend gently until well mixed.
- Add both juices and stir to incorporate.
- Fill the lined pans and bake for 2 hours or until done.
- When cooled the cakes can be turned out of the pans and wrapped in cheesecloth or an old cotton tea towel that has been thoroughly washed.
- The cake can then be drizzled with ½ cup of your choice of brandy. We prefer Cherry Brandy.
- Wrap the cloth covered cakes tightly in either tin foil or a sturdy plastic bag.
- The cakes can then be stored indefinitely and they improve with aging. You may want to add a second dose of brandy after a couple of week.