You first question may be: what the heck is spelt? Well, we're going to tell you! Spelt is an ancient grain in the wheat family. So this is not a gluten free option! It does differ from regular wheat flour, though, in that it has slightly less calories, more protein and it is a little easier to digest. Here's our recipe for our favourite spelt bread:
3½ cups light spelt flour
1½ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1⅛ cups luke warm water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and blend well.
- Add water and oil and beat with a mixer or knead by hand to make a soft dough.
- Place the dough an oiled bowl in a warm place and allow to double in size, about 40 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and punch down.
- Shape the dough into a loaf and place in a greased bread pan.
- Cover with cheese cloth and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Place 1 cup of water in a loaf pan in the oven.
- Place the bread in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- When removed from oven, brush the top of the loaf with water and let cool.