When zucchinis come into season, it can be a challenge to keep up with them. Here is our long time favourite Zucchini Loaf. Serve it up freshly baked or make a batch and freeze them for that moment when you need a snack in a hurry.
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1½ cups all purpose unbleached flour*
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup finely grated raw zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
* You can use ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour in place of ½ cup all purpose flour to add some fibre. Be sure to use pastry flour though because it is finer and won't turn your loaf into a brick.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Butter a standard loaf pan.
- Beat the eggs until light.
- Add the sugar and oil.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Use a fork or whisk to blend the ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg and sugar mixture and beat the mixture until well blended.
- Mix in the vanilla extract, grated zucchini, and nuts.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester, inserted in the centre, comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before serving.
This is one of those forgiving recipes, where you can add other seeds and nuts and dried fruit and it only makes it better. I sometimes use grated carrot, dates, chia seeds, raisins, or craisins to change it up a bit.