1¾ cups unbleached all purpose flour*
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
zest of one orange
8 tablespoons cold butter, in pieces
¾ cup butter milk
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
* You can substitute 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour.
Makes 8 triangular scones.
- Preheat oven to 400o F.
- In the bowl of a mixer combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Mix in the orange zest.
- Add the butter and mix just enough so the butter is in large pieces.
- Add the buttermilk and run your mixer until the dough starts to pull away from the sides.
- Remove the dough to a floured surface and form it into a disk about ½ inch thick.
- Cut the disk into 8 equal wedges and arrange the wedges on a greased baking sheet. A silicone baking sheet is a good alternative to a greased sheet.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little extra buttermilk and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they are dark golden on top.
- Remove the baking sheet to a cooling rack and let the scones cool slightly. Serve immediately with butter and your favourite jam or marmalade.
As an alternative:
- Knead in 1 cup of pecans into the dough and brush with maple syrup; or
- Knead in 1 cup of frozen blueberries or saskatoons into the dough.