2 cups unbleached all purpose flour*
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter at room temperature
⅓ cup milk
* You can substitute up to 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
¼ cup butter at room temperature
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry dough ingredients and blend in the butter until completely combined.
- Beat the egg and milk together until just combined.
- Add the egg mixture to the batter and mix until you have a sticky dough; a good rubber or silicone spatula works well.
- Knead the batter briefly on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle about 9" by 12".
- Spread the ¼ cup of soft butter over the dough and evenly sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over the butter.
- Roll the dough into a spiral starting from a long edge and cut into pieces about 1" thick. You may want to pinch the outer end of the spiral to close it
- Bake at 425̊ for 15 to 20 minutes on a greased cookie sheet.